Monday, September 29, 2008

Produce of the Week: Ackee


In a tribute to my friends from Kingston, this week's produce of the week is the Ackee. Not commonly found fresh in the US, the Ackee is a member of the Sapindaceae (soapberry family), it is native to tropical West Africa, and was introduced into the Caribbean through slave ships. The fruit is found in Florida.

Ackee is the national fruit of Jamaica; with Ackee and Saltfish being the national dish of the country.

You can find Ackee in cans although the texture is lost a bit in the canning process. My suggestions is to find a West Indian restaurant (Donna's in Broward County) and have them serve you up a salty portion of Ackee and Saltfish -- a typical breakfast meal on the island.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Not very often do I see an article about ackee and saltfish. My mom introduced it to me and my brother when we were very young and we have loved it since . I make it regulary using my mom's recipe from Jamaica. So easy so delicious. recommend it to anyone desiring something different and they'll be hooked.