Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An International incident

Because I had a coupon, I bought a quart of International Delight Caribbean Cinnamon Creme coffee creamer this past weekend, instead of my usual unflavored Silk creamer. I knew it had more calories and sugar that the Silk but once I measured out the teeny tablespoon I realized I was in trouble.

The unflavored Silk creamer has 15 calories per tablespoon -- no biggie. The International Delight has a scary 45 calories. And fat-free is not much better at 30 calories.

And who puts a tablespoon in their coffee unless you're drinking from dainty china cups. I don't know about you, but my morning mug can double as a child's kiddie pool. A tablespoon doesn't make a dent in the darkness.

So let's do the math: 2 tablespoons is 90 calories; 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) is 180 calories. A quarter cup of Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby is only slightly less at 165 calories. Yes, Ben and Jerry's ice cream is lower in calories.

Would you consider putting a blob of Ben and Jerry's in your coffee every morning? That's what many people do with flavored creamers.

So it's back to the plain ol' Silk creamer. The International Delight now coats the inside of the garbage disposal with all its creamy sweetness.

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: